Seoraksan National Park (설악산국립공원) is my favorite place to ride in all seasons. The mountainous terrain provides great views when going down the windy roads and also great distraction when going up them.
For more on where I stay and how I get there read:
Seoraksan National Park. A Great Place to Cycle
Here is one of the shorter loops I have done. This assumes a start at the top of the mountain. Route map and gpx file is available at the bottom of the post.
Basic Route Info
Start/End Point: Hangyerneung Rest Stop (한계령 휴게소)
Elevation Gain: 1245 meters
Highest Point: Hangyerneung Rest Stop (한계령 휴게소 917m)
(road numbers have been color coded according to Korea’s road sign colors)
- From the rest stop take a left down the #44 for 500m to just before the first hairpin turn. Turn right at the first small a small road right-hand side. The sign will say Hyeon-ri (현리)
- The road will go slightly up before a fantastic downhill ride
- At the T-intersection take a left heading towards Hyeon-ri (현리) and the #31
- Shortly after the T-intersection another intersection will appear. Stay to the right following the sign to Inje (인제) and the #31
- At the #31 intersection take a right toward Inje (인제). The road will follow a river and valley downstream
- After just over 10 km you will come to a small town (a great place to take a break). Follow the road straight, toward Deoksan-ri (덕산리)
- After about 1km you will come to a bridge that crosses over and back to the main road. DONT TAKE IT. Instead turn sharp right, (almost a u turn) back into the mountains. The sign will say Hangyerneung (한계령)
- This road will continue to go up a valley and end up climbing to around a 775m peak before going back down again.
- Follow the road back down and around to the earlier T-intesction. Take a left turn back up the mountain. Sign will Say Yangyang (양양) to the #44. This will take you back to the start up the same road you came down earlier in the day. A very tough climb!
Route Maps & GPS File:
Seoraksan Mountain Loop (67km) GPX File [urldisplaymode=nomap] – To download right-click and choose “Save Link As”
- Very steep and difficult climbing.