Over the last couple of weeks I have been out bright and early with Michael Kim and Katie Tibbetts to beat the Korean summer heat/humidity. Michael, affectionately known to us as “Rabbit” lives up to his nickname as we play a grueling game of chase over Namhansanseong (남한산성 363m) and into the rolling hills near Yangpyeong (양평) before heading back over Namhansanseong (남한산성 363m) to finish. This is a great route for anyone who is interested in a decent day in the country-side. Great views of the western part of the Han river and a nice view of the mountains near Yangpyeong.
Route map and gpx file is available at the bottom of the post.
Basic Route Info
Start/End Point: Namhansanseong (남한산성) West Entrance
Distance: 100km from the entrance road (308).
Elevation Gain: 1250 meters
Highest Point: Namhansanseong (남한산성 363m)
(road numbers have been color coded according to Korea’s road sign colors)
- Follow road #308 up Namhansanseong (남한산성) and down the other side.
- Turn right onto #43 and follow it for about 3km.
- Take a left onto the #45 toward Paldang/Toechon (팔당/퇴촌) for 2.5km over a small hill and down the other side.
- At the bottom of the hill turn right on the #88.Sign reads Yangpyeong/Toechon (양평/퇴촌)
- Follow the #88 for 3km into the the town of Toechon (퇴촌). The road will split in two just before the town. Stay right to enter the town.
- At the roundabout/rotary go left on the #342 towards Nomjong (넘종).
- Follow the #342 for about 20km. This road goes around the edge of the Paldang Lake and will be rolling hills.
- The #342 will come to an end just after a small mart stop frequented by many cyclists on the weekends as a break point.
- Just after this Take a sharp left back on to the #88. The sign will read to Yangpyeong (양평) and follow it for roughly 20km. At this point the road number will change to #98. Continue on this following the signs to Gonjiam (곤지암)
- The #98 will climb slightly before going back down and into right turn.
- Stay on the #98 following the signs to Gonjiam (곤지암) until it joins with the dual carriage road #3 (about 20km)
- Follow the #3 10km to Gwanju City (광주시) and take the off ramp to the city. Note the off ramp is just over the river.
- Ride through the city following the signs to the #45.
- Once back on the #45 follow it about 5km back the #308 up Namhansanseong (남한산성) turn. Note the road number changes to #43, just keep following it straight.
- Turn left onto the #308 and go back over Namhan Mountain.
Route Maps & GPS File:
Namhan Big Loop GPX File [urldisplaymode=nomap] – To download right-click and choose “Save Link As”
- The west side of Namhansanseong (남한산성) is very steep with a lot of hairpin turns and heavy traffic during the weekends.
- Be careful heavier traffic on highway #3 and #45 on the second half of the loop
- While this is Korea and there are always Family Marts the first section of the route is rural so be on the look out for little ma and pa stores with the sign 슈퍼 if you desperately need a refill
- As the road is very close to the Han it is worth mentioning that during monsoon season if there is flooding stay off the road.